Sunday, October 16, 2011

From coma to life: Mark Elswick talks about Traumatic Brain Injury

[caption id="attachment_9899" align="alignleft" width="206" caption="Mark Elswick"][/caption]

Ernest Dempsey — Nineteen years ago, Mark Elswick was hit in an accident that threw him into coma, near death. His brain was injured so seriously that surviving the incident was could only be called a miracle. And it happened. Mark survived and returned to life gradually, though it took two decades of care and personal struggle to subdue the life-threatening condition now categorized as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Adding to success in healing, he is now the author of two books. Here is a brief conversation with Mark Elswick about TBI and what it takes to cope with the condition.
~~~

Ernest: Hello Mark! You have such a howling story of survival and recovery as we read on The Flint Journal. A whole month in coma sounds like returning from the dead. You mind telling us your earliest memories after the accident?

Mark: My earliest memory of "waking up" from the month-long coma is about food; I have no clue how long it was after I regained consciousness. My dad was in my room and eating a donut. Unable to speak, I wanted one and was trying to show him. I motioned for it; he broke a nutty donut in half, and gave it to me. I stuck it in my mouth and swallowed—no chew. I had not eaten solid for in over a month and apparently my brain had forgotten the simplest of things. Gagging and choking for a quick minute, my dad began hitting my back... it's quite comical now.

Basically, it's like some of the simplest things in life that our brains do get covered in dust from non-use and it forgets how to do some things. In my case, the "dust" was blown off most sections of my brain and I'm probably 80% of what I was before the accident—a very high number for a severe TBI victim. Unfortunately, the dust is never removed for many victims. In fact, braininjury.com reported that "9-of-10 TBI patients, who are comatose for a month or more, fail to progress beyond a severe state of disability."

Ernest: And how do you remember regaining consciousness?

Mark: Honestly, I don't remember actually regaining consciousness. People want to hear about how I "saw the light" or "talked to the Lord", but to the best of my recollection, there was nothing even close to that. I'm not saying that does or doesn't happen; I'm just saying I remember nothing.

Ernest: Were you told that you had Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) the way we know it today?

Mark: Like most people, 19 years ago, my family, friends, and I had no idea what a Traumatic Brain Injury was. Today, with the NFL and military issues ("bringing the war home"), society is gaining at least some idea of what a brain injury can do and the severity of even a "mild" TBI. Still, today, people do not understand how common a TBI can be. Any blow to the head or even a whiplash effect can disrupt normal brain function, causing a mild, moderate, or severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Sure, most happen as life happens and are often "unavoidable". However, when something like an auto accident, sports injury, slip and fall, does happen, THAT'S when we need to know how to react. The more research I do, the sadder this becomes. A lot of times, in a basic "simple" concussion, for example, the victim is not properly "rested", resulting in more concussions, which results in greater long-term damage, which could have all been, in fact, avoided with a little education.

Ernest: What kinds of traumas can cause TBI and how does TBI affect the life of its victim?

Mark: A TBI can occur in countless ways. If someone can imagine their head being slammed against something, the acceleration of the jello-like brain slamming stopped against the rough crater-like surface of the interior of the skull WILL cause some degree of damage. Perhaps it'll be nothing. But, a brain injury should never be taken lightly. If it's ever safe to "proceed with caution", a brain injury is that time.

The consequences of a TBI are quite often permanent. Like myself, for instance, I have a very poor short-term memory (I remember pretty well 30 years ago, but 30 minutes ago I’ll probably forget.); my balance makes me appear drunk sometimes; my hand-eye coordination is almost laughable at times; my speech is far from ideal; and my concentration and attention are less than desirable, among other issues. Even with my problems, I'm one of the lucky ones.

If my problem was a broken arm, separated shoulder, or countless other "visible" injuries, people would automatically feel some sympathy for me. However, since I look completely normal and have no visible signs of my life-threatening injury, people think I'm 100%. However, they don't understand the pain and suffering that many TBI victims go through, daily. A TBI is a lot like WWE wrestler John Cena's saying, "You can't see me."

Ernest: What kinds of treatments you had for TBI and for how long?

Mark: My lawyer was able to have me moved to a different hospital, to McLaren from Hurley, with an intensive brain injury outpatient program, so I’d be able to be released sooner. All told, I spent a month in a coma and then two more months at McLaren. When I was finally able to return home, I had to begin the outpatient program. I was involved in physical therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, social group therapy, and more; I can't remember all of my therapies. Basically, for a long time, that was my daily job—go to therapy. After roughly a year, I was only attending physical therapy and speech therapy; PT is so painful and ST is so frustrating. However, I was blessed to have the best of both and the treatment did a world of good.

Ernest: You returned to the university despite your therapist’s advice, as we read in the story about you. Why would your therapist not recommend returning to graduation?

Mark: That's exactly what I couldn't understand; why wouldn't they want me to return to college and be a better person? Well, from as far back as I can remember, even when I couldn't walk and barely communicate, I just wanted out of that hospital. How was I going to get better and be who I needed to be in a hospital bed? There was work, college, basketball, friends... I needed out and I was just lying around. I felt I HAD to get home so I could get my life back on track. Then, when I told my therapists of my intention of returning to the University of Michigan, Flint, they were shocked and negative. Soon enough, I found out why they wanted me to wait. My brain needed me to wait.

I returned and struggled badly. My concentration, attention, and memorization were probably better when I was a toddler. My Grade Point Average dipped below a 2.0 and I was placed on academic probation, "up or out" status, which simply meant if my grades didn't improve with each grade, I would've been booted.

Gradually, my brain was calming down and I learned coping mechanisms and tricks. My GPA fell to 1.77 and I was BARELY able to raise it to 2.0 at the end of my junior “year" (I quote year because it actually took about three years). Then, with a new outlook on life, I was able to somehow, thanks to mostly A's my senior “year", graduate with a 2.6 GPA.

Whether it's a blow to the head, concussion, or severe TBI, the brain needs rest. Unbelievably, people do not understand what rest is. If someone breaks his or her leg, it is casted and immobilized; a few months later, it’s usually as good as new. The human brain doesn’t have that luxury. A brain can't be casted. Rest is, surprisingly, the equivalent of a cast. Parents, coaches, and all other adults and children need to understand what rest is. Rest is not texting, reading, movies... rest is rest, a.k.a. NO brain stimulus.

Ernest: That’s indeed an important point to share! So what are some of the wonderful people who were most helpful in getting you through the difficult time caused by TBI?

Mark: The doctors, therapists, and hospital staff were amazing at any place I had to go. Then, without my family, especially my parents, Ralph and Sandy Elswick, I would never be in the condition to do what I'm doing today. Also, my friends were amazing, especially my life-long best friend, Bill Eckert, who has ALWAYS been more-than supportive.

I’ve seen too many stories of TBI victims who have had to re-learn to live again without a support network. Without that safety net, these people often fall through society’s cracks. My heart goes out to these people because I, too, could very easily be living a homeless life of bewilderment and desperation. As I say over and over, I am so lucky.

Ernest: Tell us a little about your books.

Mark: Padman: A Dad's Guide to Buying... Those and Other Tales is a collection of 13 short stories, eight of which are humorous. The highlight of the humor stories is the four episodes about raising a daughter, which are all completely true, by the way. Incidentally, one publisher compared the humor to that of Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist Dave Barry; needless to say, I was extremely flattered and honored.

When we go swimming in an ocean or lake, usually we don't just dive in—we wade in. The humor in Padman—we all love to laugh—allows readers to wade into a serious area, Traumatic Brain Injury. It is my hope that readers will buy Padman for the acclaimed humor, and then read the five serious survivor stories. The book contains three TBI survivor shorts, shares a visit to a chemotherapy institute, and ends with a very brief but passionate letter I wrote to fellow TBI survivors, their families, and society.

My goal with this book and my next is to create TBI awareness and raise the level of education regarding the injury while raising some money for Brain Injury Association of America (BIAA). Fifteen percent of all proceeds will be donated to the Vienna, VA association. There is also a page in the book which allows readers to donate more should they feel so inclined.

As I talked about wading into the water with Padman before diving in headfirst, readers will dive in with the March 2012 release of Traumatic Brain Injuries: Milestones in Recovery.

Ernest: Mark, thank you so much for your time and sharing with us your thoughts! I look forward to the publication of your book. How can interested readers get updates on your book and work?

Mark: Thank you so much for your time, today. I've started assembling a 10-state tour, spreading TBI awareness and raising BIAA money. Readers can follow the progress at http://www.markelswick.com or by friend requesting me on Facebook at Author Mark Elswick. Thank you so much for the time and best of luck to you, as well. Dream! Hope! & Believe!