Friday, October 14, 2011

Permaculture Courses

Permaculture, what is it and how do I learn more? The past two weeks I have been talking about the ethics of permaculture. It is time to stop and talk a bit about what permaculture is and how you can learn more and perhaps take a course.

A person who has permaculture training can recognize and maximize beneficial relationships while minimizing or eliminating harmful ones. If you want to reduce your impact on the environment this is a handy ability to possess.

I define permaculture as Permaculture as a holistic, nature inspired design methodology that can be used to grow food, build businesses and create communities. My recent work tends towards the latter creating communities or more accurately, creating social infrastructure that can support sustainable communities; community gardens and adult literacy programs, for example.

Why take a permaculture course?

One reason is so you can create a lifestyle that will reduce your ecological footprint while saving you money, time and energy. This illustrates a permaculture concept- taking one action and accomplishing three or more tasks.

Interested in learning more? I suggest taking an introduction to permaculture course. This will cover the basics and help you to determine whether you want or need to study further. You may discover you have enough knowledge to adapt your lifestyle or you may want to know more.
If you find you are hungry for more knowledge and want to become a designer or go even deeper and become a teacher then you will need to take further courses.
If you have your own land and want to grow all or much of your own food, the intro course will help you decide whether or not this is a realistic goal. If you are convinced that you can indeed grow the food you need than it is time to take a closer look at the permaculture design certificate (PDC). The PDC is also essential if you wish to become a permaculture teacher or to take more advanced permaculture design courses.
What I choose.

I first came to permaculture after years of working in the anti-poverty movement. I was looking for a solutions based methodology that could actually make a difference and develop positive alternatives to the problems that seem at time insurmountable.

I was an avid gardener and supporter of community gardens and one day while casually surfing the Net for some ideas, I stumbled across permaculture. I began to read widely on the subject and soon knew I was ready to take a course. Travel was not an option at the time and there were no course available even close to home.

I discovered a course being taught by April Samson Kelly at Permaculture Vision.
She had worked with Bill Mollison the co-founder of permaculture and the educational program Permaculture Vision offered met my pocket book and my schedule.
First, I took the introductory course. When I was half way through that I knew I would be continuing my study.

I do not work as a permaculture designer, however, I do use what I learned to, one, continue the learning experience and to enhance my work as both a gardener, cook ,informal educator, writer and community organizer.

As my awareness of Nature grows, my ability to share with others how we can observe Nature, learn through that observation and model our interactions, business, personal and educational upon the examples Nature so generously provides.

Permaculture design provides pathways to building sustainable lives lived in a sustainable community.