Thursday, November 7, 2013

Listen to the 'Songbird' of music to a voice you won't forget

[caption id="attachment_20819" align="alignleft" width="160"]Kathy Songbird Kathy Songbird[/caption]

Carol Forsloff-----In a world of competition for who’s the best, there are those yet undiscovered major talents that provoke many of us to say to ourselves, “That person is so talented she should be on a national stage.”  This is often said about Kathy Songbird, a vocalist whose singing soars above almost anyone and who surely should be among those who have attained great fame.

Kathy Songbird is the stage name for Jan Jackson who combines physical attractiveness with a voice that stuns her listeners.  She is one of the outstanding performers on a site called Fandalism, where she has numerous fans.  Along with musical talent, Kathy is also known for her kindness and sensitivity for the welfare of others that she often expresses in friendly mail and chats with friends.

An interview with this could-be, should-be Broadway talent brought additional insight into the musical background, interests and musical attitudes that go with being the kind of woman anyone would want as a friend and the kind of musical skill that any producer would embrace.

1.       When did you begin to perform music? At what age did you start singing or playing an instrument?

I started singing in church at age 7. I have been singing since I was 4 according to my Mom

2.       Did you learn music by having lessons or did you learn on your own?

I took piano lessons from my grandmother and took voice lessons at the Conservatory of Music   in Kansas City for a time.

3.       Who encouraged you the most in learning and performing music?

My grandmother loved to hear me sing and she would play piano while I did. She felt I had a gift and I am thankful to her for her support as well as my family.

4.      Have you been primarily a soloist or member of a band?

I sang with the Rocky Rockwell Band as lead singer and also with the Bill Woody Combo band as lead singer. I also did many gigs by myself playing keyboard and singing.        

5. Are you a fan of some of the television programs like “The Voice” or “America's (or your country) Got Talent”or American Idol or any of the other programs that present contests?

I do enjoy watching the Voice and American Idol...love to see the talent that is out there.

6.  What motivated you initially to be involved in music?

I have loved music from as long as I can remember. Singing along with music on the radio from a very early age. Music is my love.

7. What are your personal favorite music genres? Who are some of your favorite performers?

I love blues, ballads, Broadway, the classics from days gone by...even country Barbra Streisand is my all-time favorite vocalist.

8.  Do you compose music?

I have tried writing some songs...I hear the melody in my head but have never done it seriously.

9.  Do you have other family members who play music?

My father played piano by ear, my grandmother on the piano, and my brother plays guitar. 

10.  Are you active in a music group of any kind?

I presently am with KC Cabaret...a great group of talented singers.

11.   How often do you play music, including for your own recreation?

I am always singing, even if I don't post a song publicly. I play my keyboard often also. 

12.   What barriers have you found in the music business? What do you think might improve the music business?

It is very hard to find places to perform and so many places only want certain styles of music and people of a certain age. It would be wonderful if there were ways to find out what is available in the city you live in.

13.   Are you active in any music organizations such as ASCAP or BMI?

I am not active in any music organization at the present time. 

14. Would you encourage a young person starting out to seek music as a career?

I would strongly recommend any young person who has an ambition to put their music out in the world to find out where and how they can go about that. I hear young singers/musicians and I pray that someone will discover them. 

15.   Where do you see the future of music?

Music will be around forever....it is the one thing that can touch even the hardest heart. It makes us cry, laugh, feel emotions that we may have been hiding. Without music the world would be a very sad place

16.   What are your personal music goals?

I do wish I could get with someone and we could perform music for people, be it a band or maybe someone to just play piano for me. Love seeing the smiles on people's faces when I sing for them...money isn't important, it is just the love of music I have in my heart and I love spreading that joy around. God gave me a gift and I thank Him each day for it. 

And as Kathy thanks God for the gift of her voice there are many people who thank Him and Kathy as well for the voice of an angel many people love, that you will too, once you have a listen at the following sites:

http://www.youtube.com/user/songbird18MO?feature=watch

https://soundcloud.com/kathy-songbird

http://fandalism.com/kathysongbird

 

17 comments:

  1. Carol what a sweetheart you are for doing this. You have the biggest heart of anyone I know. You are always there to support me and so many others who have the good fortune of crossing your path. I can't thank you enough...I so appreciate this....means more than you can know....Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, i'm really impressed with this, didn't know your story about your singing...you are one hell of a good singer. Keep it up...i've always been impressed by your voice...you should be out there making it big.

    Love you my friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, i have said it before and I say it again, YOU SHINE!!! I did not know you did not write and compose, I have always loved your voice so perhaps, time permitting and if you are interested, I may be able to write a song for you and produce you from afar, it could be a plan... :-) take care little songbird xox MikeyD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to see our Kathy in your magazine Carol and many thanks to you for this excellent interview.
    I have been a huge fan of "The Songbird" since the first time I heard her on fandalism, a superb vocalist of the highest calibre, but more than that one of the most open hearted and genuine people I have ever come across with a generous, caring spirit and also an endearing sense of fun.......just a shame she`s already married !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANGELO MARINOSCI, JR.November 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM

    KATHY S. is an angel indeed and is well respected and enjoyed and loved on the music site 'FANDALISM" where some of us have made her acquaintance... her theatrical persona is magnetic and her talents divine.... we hold her dear to our hearts for her sparkling personality and human character... again, a little angel.
    I am proud to call her "my sister" for the log sand kindness she extends and for thee lovely performance she entitles us to... hugs to her and to you Queen Carol for presenting her here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy Songbird - you are a star among stars and your light shines so bright for all who have had a chance to hear just one note from your golden vocal chords. Your incredible voice is only surpassed by the depth of your love and compassion for your fellow man and the sincerity of your whole being. I am forever grateful that I was blessed to connect with you on Fandalism and I thank you for being my friend. Keep blessing folks with the gift of your talent. You are indeed an angel!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Josee you are such a dear friend....even though we have never met in person I feel like I know you and you amaze me with your voice.....Thank you SO much for your kind words...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mikey you make me smile with your comments here. I have recorded some songs on a digital voice recorder but haven't sat down and written the music out. I am giving it serious consideration to start doing that. I would LOVE it if you wrote a song for me...what an honor that would be coming from you. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to see you here Kathy,...yes as has been said....You Shine !

    ReplyDelete
  10. (((((PAT))))) you are so darn sweet to say those things. I am honored that Carol wrote this article about me and I know SOON there are going to be more amazing artists featured on this sit. I thank you so very much for always being there for me....xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angelo my sweet *brother*...you were one of the first ones on Fandalism to comment on my songs. Each time you come listen and leave me a message...well it does my heart good....I thank you SO much...:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww Chet....you are so dear to me. I hope you are one of those that Carol is going to honor on this site as you amaze me with every song you give us. I thank you so much for your support....:) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jason that means so much coming from you....YOU shine also and I just know Carol will be featuring you soon. What an amazingly talented man you are and I thank you so for your continued support of my music :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sticky "Sugar"HopkinsNovember 8, 2013 at 3:10 AM

    It is so very nice to see an article written on dear Kathy who is a diamond Songbird.. I have always said that the voice belongs where it should be and that i mean on Broadway. Julie Andrews had nothing on Kathy. Both her vocals and on screen prowess is awesome. Its been an honor to have had her as a fellow musician. Times have been very tough for me and it was unfortunate that all of my music had to come to an end for the time being as there was more between myself and Kathy to come.I very nearly decided that enough was enough and forget the music scene altogether. Well at some stage we will do something i am sure just a case of when??? But Kathy Songbird has an immaculate voice and is an immaculate lady.. Rock on Kathy :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. well its about timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I have always said this women will be awesome on Broadway just love her no joke it can still happen!!.....weather on line local theater singsnap, fandalism, youtube just music to your ears continue success love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My dear Sugar, we WILL do more music together, you can count on that. The collaborations we have done, well I treasure them. You are one very talented musician and I pray that soon you will be back and giving us your amazing music...I will be waiting. Thank you SO much for always being there for me....xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet Rich, I would love to be on Broadway and I know you would be in the front row supporting me. You are one special guy and I love ya too. You have always shown me support for my music and it means so much to me..TY Ty :) x

    ReplyDelete

Say something constructive. Negative remarks and name-calling are not allowed.