Friday, December 30, 2011

This year resolve to live lightly upon the earth


Bob Ewing - Resolutions, have you made any yet? The period between Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve finds people committing themselves to making their New Year’s resolutions.

These solemn promises, which people make to themselves, are made in good faith and with the best of intentions. Resolution makers are also eager to share their commitments with friends and family; an act which is made much simpler by the variety of social networks available to anyone with an Internet connection. We can now share whatever comes into our minds the very minute it does.

People promise to lose weight; give up smoking; drink less and be kinder. The variety of resolutions is amazing, however, they often all have one thing in common, and they are short-lived. What begins with good intentions may fade as the stress of daily life begins to wear away those noble plans.

I do not make resolutions. I once did but no more, not for a number of years now.

It was about twenty years ago, maybe even 25, when I began to give thought to what this short phrase “Do no harm” means. I asked myself if it was possible to design a life based upon such a seemingly simple philosophy.

During my perusal of an answer to this possibility, this search merged with my determination to find a way out of an economic and political system that required people to live in poverty, so that a few could thrive. Those who did well, benefited from the fact that they controlled the planet’s resources. I became fascinated by who owned and controlled the land and what lay beneath.

I have always been intrigued by food and was involved in the local food movement at the time, working for an anti-poverty organization and a food bank. Simplicity and living lightly upon the earth were also subjects of study and practice. It was during this period that I found permaculture and its ethics and principles.

It was then that I knew I had found a way out of the morass we call society and a method by which a better, more just and equitable system could be designed. There was no need to make resolutions because I was actively designing a life for myself that reduced my impact on the planet and I was involved in sharing, not just thoughts but resources, with others who could also benefit from them.

If you need to make a resolution this year how about deciding to reduce your impact upon the planet, by walking when you can and if you need a second give some thought to sharing your surplus with those who need it. Have a Prosperous and Happy New Year.