Monday, May 7, 2012

Louisiana top blues artist offers good music, advice on success

[caption id="attachment_15207" align="alignleft" width="289"] Edd Greer, top music artist[/caption]

Carol Forsloff --If you are one of those old musicians who believes you are washed up because you haven't "made it" yet or that young person who looks at the competition and thinks the big dream of becoming a music star may never be realized, then you must learn about Edd Greer  whose success is clear evidence of good things lasting and growing forever in the world of music.

Edd  Greer is one of those Louisiana originals who had a dream as a very young man to do something wonderful with his music.   He is one of the great talents  from the very soul of American music.  And he gives us more of that soul in his creations now,  to the extent that he is a favorite on the blues and country circuit.  At age 62, Edd stays busy and is in demand for his music, including by the big boys in Nashville.

I interviewed  Greer recently.  The following is the narrative of that interview:

Q:   When did you first start playing music?  What was your motivation for playing?  How old were you when you started your music career.

A: Carol, I started my music career when I was 6 years old. My family would take me and dress me up like Elvis --white shoes, black leather jacket, slick my hair back, sunshades, and put me in front of a jukebox and I would imitate Elvis. People would throw money on the floor in front of me and at 6 years old I always had both pockets full of money.  Later on down the road I played guitar in a high school band. At age 15

I had 4 guitars.

Q: .  What types of music do you commonly play and where?  Where are you planning to expand your music and what is your ultimate goal?

A: Carol, I was on road for years in bus with my tour band from my record label--opened lot of shows for Willie Nelson, Randy Travis, Earl Thomas Conley, etc.  After getting my record deal, I went on road with Nashville musicians --8 piece tour band along with my 2 cowgirl dancers. I have had shows throughout the South, from Nashville, to Salt Lake City, out to Hollywood, Atlantic City, New York, and London England.  I am currently working on my #6 album with my lable and my ultimate goal is to keep my music playing on radio internationally.

Q:   You mentioned you travel to different venues and make tours.  Where are some of the places you have recently played?  Where will you be touring next?  In what type of venue are you most comfortable?

A: For the last 5 years I fly into airport and am picked up by customer. I use house bands nowdays and they know my music so I just come on at a set show time --usually for about 1 hour and when its completed I usually catch a redeye out of airport the next morning.  My booking agency sets my shows up and they keep it streamlined --in and out and on to next show.

Q:   Do you write much of your own music?  If you do, what are the principal themes of your music?  How do you choose your themes?

A: I have 16 songs I wrote on 5 albums released by Castle Records.  I play piano or guitar until I hear a melody I like,  then put down words to it.  I submit all this to my producer, and he files paperwork through ASCAP and BMI for us to clear copywrites.  I have a song titled INTO YOU--which made the charts back in 2004--sometimes I play new songs live to audience before I record them to see what response I get back from them.

[caption id="attachment_15208" align="alignleft" width="300"] Greer's music room[/caption]

Q:.  What instruments do you play?

A: I play, piano, guitar, base, and harmonica

Q.  Where do you think American music may be headed?  What barriers do you see for musicians of today?  What recommendations would you make to new entertainers?

A:  I told my producer last week in Nashville there are no more classics being recorded--just packed cd with new singers and couple years down the road they are gone.  Nashville is like a swinging door nowdays with all the new singers.  I believe the best advice I could give to a new entertainer would be this:  You have to believe in yourself and stay the course even it takes years.  I believe you become a star the first time you step up on that stage to perform for an audience.  It's just a matter of time before you make it if you believe in yourself and don't give up.


Greer's awards and accolades are numerous from hard work and the kind of talent and discipline it takes to be successful in a competitive music industry.  They include 2002 Broadcast Male Artist of the Year,  2004 NAR Entertainer of the Year and 2005 Indie Blues Male Vocal of the Year. 

A busy 2012 is anticipated as Greer makes his way from one part of the country to another to prove again and again that a dedicated and talented artist can make it from here to there with a dream that can come true.