Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Gypsies get the boot in France, in violation of international law

Gypsies dancing Gypsies dancing[/caption]

Carol Forsloff---“I woke up at 6 am this morning, the police came and it scared us. I knew we would have to leave, my mother had told me so. I don’t know where my family and I will go now. I don’t know if we will be able to go to school, but we definitely want to go. Today I was supposed to go to a refreshers course because next week I will start secondary school, but now I can’t go,” said David, aged 12.

David faces his fifth eviction with his family that include five brothers and sisters aged 4 to 28.

Amnesty International reports the Romani people being evicted across the country of France, as French authorities continue to defy international law.  Yesterday, August 27, 2013,  150 people were evicted outside Paris.

Those reporting this from Amnesty International tell of Nadka, a 46-year-old Bulgarian woman who has lived in France nearly ten years who was evicted from a camp with her husband 16-year-old daughter, crying and frightened with nowhere to go.

Marion Cadier, Amnesty International researcher in France says, "This morning, I saw entire families being rendered homeless and forced to leave everything behind. People did not know what to do or where to go,” said Marion Cadier, Amnesty International researcher on France.

“It is unacceptable that a year on from the inter-ministerial circular, hundreds of Roma families up and down the country are made to face the same fate over and over again. It's time for France to stop forcibly evicting people, and to respect international human rights law.”

These forced evictions violate international human rights laws that say proper procedures must be taken to make sure residents that are evicted are given compensation as well as help in finding alternative shelter.

These same patterns of mistreatment in some respects occurs in much of Europe.  Even Italy that did not shut its doors to immigrant gypsies have found their citizens very prejudiced against the Roman people.

Gypsies are originally from India and for centuries have been considered social outcasts in most of Europe where they have settled in fairly large numbers.